Adult Resources to Help Children Read:
Comprehensive List of Search Engines Compiled by Grant Wood Area Education Agency
The following sites have lots of information for families.
- American Library Association’s Great Sites
- Ask Our Teachers – answers questions about school
- Lycoszone.com for Parents – activities for parents and children
- Teacher Plus – information for teachers and parents
Keep your children safe. Discuss the proper use of the Internet. The Internet can be a very useful tool.
- Never give out private information
- Never give out your address or phone number
- Discuss which sites can be visited and which are off-limits
- Tell an adult right away if something on the Internet makes you uncomfortable
- Never agree to meet an Internet “buddy” in person
- Never e-mail pictures of yourself or friends to people you don’t know
- Being on-line is like being in PUBLIC, use the STRANGER DANGER rules you already know
- Use the Internet as a responsible person
- Follow these rules when at home, in school, at the library, or at a friend’s
- Monitor what your children do on the Internet
Source: My Rules for Internet Safety, www.Harcourtschool.com, 2000.